Auburn baseball welcomes GW to open 2017 slate
Feb. 16, 2017
- Auburn opens the 2017 season by hosting George Washington for a four-game set at Plainsman Park. The Tigers begin the year with 22 games at home, the most in Auburn program history. First pitch on Friday is set for 2 pm.
- All four games are available on WatchESPN/SECN+ and the Auburn Sports Network. Andy Burcham and Mark Fuller will call the action on SECN+ on Opening Day.
- Auburn opens the 2017 season with 22 games at home, the most for the Tigers in program history. The Tigers play 36 total games at home in 2017.
- The Tigers are 52-16 (.765) on opening day since 1949 with six-straight wins. Damon Haecker and Blake Logan are both aiming to play in their fourth consecutive opening day.
- Auburn HC Butch Thompson begins his second season in charge of the Tigers' program. He is in his 16th season in the SEC and his 5th overall at AU after serving as an assistant from 2006-08.
- Butch Thompson's opening day lineup could have as many as eight bats in the lineup that did not have a plate appearance for the Tigers in 2016.
- Keegan Thompson is the first Auburn pitcher to make two Opening Day starts (2015 & 2017) in his career since Levale Speigner started the 2002-03 openers. Thompson is just the fourth man since 1994 to start multiple openers (Ryan Halla 1995-96, Hayden Gliemmo 1999-00-01).
- Auburn and George Washington have never met.
- Action at Plainsman Park continues on Tuesday at 3 pm against Jacksonville State and Wednesday at 3 pm against Florida A&M.
- Gates open one hour prior to first pitch.
- The East Coliseum Lot, Athletics Complex lot and top two levels of the Stadium Deck are available for baseball parking on Friday, Tuesday and Wednesday. All lots are available on Saturday and Sunday.
- The stadium deck is available for parking and game viewing. Parking is limited to top two levels.
- Fans are permitted to bring empty plastic bottles in for free water refills.
- A cell phone charging station is available to fans near the front gate adjacent to the promotions booth.
- Grass areas around the park and adjacent parking lots are open and available for tailgating.