April 16, 2014
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Swimmer TJ Leon and equestrian rider Jennifer Waxman have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Auburn University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2014 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on May 6.
Highlights of Auburn’s nominees include:
TJ Leon, Swimming & Diving
- Pre-Medicine major in Biomedical Sciences who is on target to graduate in December 2014
- Member of Omicron Delta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi
- Named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll
- During his three years in the College of Science and Mathematics, Leon has been named the Outstanding Student three times
- Holds a 4.0 cumulative GPA and is the recipient of the Stanley Louis Sugar Memorial Scholarship Award for the highest GPA of any student-athlete on Auburn’s swimming and diving team
- Plans to attend medical school after graduation
- Four-year letterwinner for the Auburn swimming and diving team
- Member of the Tigers’ 2013 NCAA Champion 200 freestyle relay team
- Served as Auburn’s team captain during the 2013-14 season
- Has been a part of two SEC Championship squads (2011, 2012) and is a five-time All-American
- Has won four SEC titles swimming on Auburn’s 200 freestyle relay team and turned in his best career time in the 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, and 100 butterfly at the 2014 SEC Championships
- Competed at the 2012 Olympic Trials and swam at the NCAA Championships during all four years of his Auburn career
Jennifer Waxman, Equestrian
- Political Science major with a graduation date of May 2014
- A 2013 Rhodes Scholar finalist boasting a 3.97 GPA
- Four-year member of SEC Academic Honor Roll and Dean’s list member
- Member of Chi Alpha Sigma, Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Beta Kappa honor societies
- Four-year starter on the equitation over fences lineup
- Has twice earned All-America honors
- Helped lead the team to an SEC title in 2011 and two national championships in 2011 and 2013
- Holds the school record for most career wins in equitation over fences
- With 35 victories in 51 meets she has won 68.6 percent of her head-to-head matchups, and has won five most outstanding player honors.
- Integral reason equestrian team has won the Auburn community service award in each of the years of Waxman’s tenure
- Team representative on the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, a student-athlete mentor of the Auburn Leadership Institute
- Volunteer at the East Alabama Food Bank and works with children with disabilities through the Fieldstone Therapeutic Riding Center
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC Corporate Champion sponsor, provides the league’s male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in late May.
Last year’s McWhorter Award recipients were Barrett Jones of the Alabama football team and Chelsea Oswald of the Kentucky track & field team.