Jan. 2, 2014
ATHENS, Ga. - Auburn’s divers get their first action of 2014 underway at the Georgia Diving Invitational this weekend. The three-day competition begins on Friday morning at the Gabrielsen Natatorium and concludes on Sunday.
Auburn’s team will compete against divers from Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Missouri, Kentucky, Clemson, Towson, James Madison, Iowa State, SMU, Kansas and N.C. State. The three-day meet will begin with the women on the 1-meter springboard, while the men take to the 3-meter. The men swap to the 1-meter, while the women compete on the 3-meter board on Saturday. The completion concludes on Sunday as both men and women will climb to the platform for a one-list final.
Preliminary rounds for the Georgia Diving Invitational get underway on Friday at 10 a.m. CT, followed by finals for each event. The competition will feature a twist as the top six divers from the springboard finals will compete in a round-by-round, knock-out style competition. Each diver will be allowed one dive and the diver with the lowest score each round will be eliminated until there is one diver left standing.
On Sunday, both the men and women will compete in a one-list final on the platform. The men's final gets underway at 9 a.m. CT and the women's final is set for 1 p.m. CT.
The Tigers closed out 2013 by combining to earn four wins at the Tuscaloosa Diving Invitational on Dec. 16-18. On the men’s side, senior John Santeiu IV swept the all three events, while Auburn posted a pair of 1-2-3 finishes in the 1-meter and 3-meter competitions.
Auburn’s women closed out the Tuscaloosa Diving Invitational with a solid performance in the one-list platform final. Cinzia Calabretta added her first win of the season with 255.95 points, while Shanna Schuelein was second at 237.30.
- Santeiu has earned six events win this season to lead the Auburn men. Prior to sweeping the Tuscaloosa Diving Invitational, Santeiu is undefeated in competition on the 3-meter and has also earned victories at LSU and at the Auburn Invitational.
- Calabretta earned her first win of the year on the platform at the Tuscaloosa Diving Invitational. The junior has posted NCAA Zone diving marks in all three events this season.
- Schuelein earned three runner-up finishes during her last competition at the Tuscaloosa Diving Invitational last month. The junior holds Auburn’s best score on the 3-meter springboard with 307.65 points.
- The sophomore duo of Fraser McKean and Justin Youtsey have provided key depth for the Tiger men. McKean ranks second the team on the 3-meter (388.15) and the platform (374.65). Youtsey is second on the 1-meter for Auburn with 361.30 points.
- Carly Scheper ranks second this season for the Auburn women on the 1-meter board with a score of 279.05. Scheper has earned NCAA Zone Diving scores in all three events.
The full squad returns to action on Jan. 9 as the Tigers face rival Texas in Austin for their first competition of 2014. The dual meet against the rival Longhorns will air on the Longhorn Network at 11 a.m.