Auburn Sports Medicine
Sports which have graduate assistant athletics trainers include:
- Cross Country/Track & Field
- Football (1)*
- Men's Tennis
- Physician Extender
- Physician Assistant
- Swimming & Diving
- Women's Tennis*
* sports are available for the 2018 year.
This is a two year position (the second year will be renewed at the conclusion of the first, based upon performance evaluation by the Director of Sports Medicine). There is a FULL TUITION WAIVER and yearly stipend of approximately $13,500 provided. The graduate assistant will also receive full reimbursement on national dues and professional liability insurance both years. Professional liability insurance is provided by the department.
All candidates must be a Certified Athletic Trainer by the NATABOC prior to start date of position. They must also have a strong clinical and educational background, recommendations from current supervising athletic trainer and two other references, and be admitted into Auburn University and your desired graduate program.
Our Graduate Assistants are placed in charge of a specific team for the duration of their assistantship. Graduate Assistants are responsible for the care and prevention of injuries for their assigned sports team and will maintain communication with coaches, athletic department personnel, parents, team physicians, and other medical specialists involved with the care of the athlete. Other duties would include training room coverage and management, student athletic trainer supervision and education, updating medical and personnel files, and helping to improve the overall quality of the sports medicine program and facilities.
In addition to your athletic training responsibilities, you are required to progress towards your chosen Master's Degree. In order to retain your stipend, you must be registered each semester. After the end of your first year, you must have completed 50% of your degree program for the assistantship to be renewed. All Graduate Assistants are expected to be in Auburn throughout their first summer to assist staff with clinical duties and camps.
Our sports medicine staff involves athletic trainers, team physicians, a clinical psychologist, and a nutritionist. We have a philosophy that is centered around sports medicine, but want to have a broad base of contributing "thinkers" in developing our program. We expect you to have input and involvement, and when choices or decisions are made we expect you to be a leader in carrying out the team approach to a problem.
With the help of our full-time staff, graduate assistants will learn about the administration of a team, a medical system, and other business aspects of athletic training and sports medicine. Throughout this process we hope to better prepare you for a fulfilling and accomplished career in Sports Medicine.
Thank you for your interest in Auburn University and our Sports Medicine Program. In order for our staff to process your application, you must first complete the information/application form. You must contact the graduate school to obtain a copy of the Auburn University Bulletin and graduate school application. Please send us your resume, information/application form, three letters of recommendation, unofficial undergraduate transcripts, and an unofficial copy of your GRE scores.
Graduate Assistant Information/Application Form (PDF)
(application deadline is November 17, 2017)
Here are some pertinent facts in relation to becoming a Graduate Assistants at Auburn University:
- Although applications are accepted all year, Graduate Assistants are hired each spring semester. See application deadline above.
- NATA certification is required prior to the early June start date.
- The Graduate School and each individual Master's Program have very specific entrance requirements. Please refer to each departments website for these specific requirements.
- Graduate assistants are given additional athletic training room and administrative responsibilities to assist in the daily operations of the Sports Medicine Department.
- Travel is required with your sport assignment.
- Mandatory participation and attendance during monthly in-services.
- Graduate Assistant positions are for one year, with the possibility of a second year (based on performance, attitude, and academic progress).
- You will be required to work during the summer (camps, etc.).
- If you have any further questions, please contact Janet Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.