May 14, 2014
Crunching the numbers: Strong APR scores for Auburn
By Charles Goldberg
AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn men's golf and cross country were recognized by the NCAA for its academic excellence over the last four years and football showed an improvement in the last scoring period, according to the APR scores that were released Wednesday.
All of Auburn's 21 sports were safely within the Academic Progress Rate guidelines.
Six teams scored a perfect 1,000 in 2012-13, the last scoring period. Men's cross country and golf continued their perfect scores, and were awarded public recognition by the NCAA for scoring 1,000 over the last four years. They were joined in the last scoring period with perfect scores by women's golf, tennis, volleyball and gymnastics.
Football scored a 978, up from its four-year average of 965. The latest football score was one of the highest in the country.
Nine other sports equaled or showed improvement with their scores during 2012-13 over their four-year average.
Auburn's four-year average in men's track was the best four-year average among those SEC teams. Women's basketball was No. 2 among league teams. Soccer and women's tennis had the third-best scores.
"We had a very good year during the 2012-2013 academic year," said Dr. Gary Waters, Senior Associate Athletics Director over Student-Athlete Support Services. "We need to follow that performance with a similar performance in future years. I am especially pleased that 14 of our 21 teams have a multi-year APR score of 980 or above. It is also important to note that all 12 women’s teams have a multi-year APR score of 975 or above."
Waters gave credit to the athletes as well as the coaches and staff and the staff of Student-Athlete Support Services and the athletic and academic administrations, including Athletics Director Jay Jacobs, university president Jay Gogue and Provost Dr. Timothy Boosinger.
Auburn APR highlights
- Of the 21 teams, we had six teams (29%) with perfect APR Score for the 2012-2013 Academic Year.
- Men’s cross country and men’s golf with perfect multi-year APR scores. These teams will receive NCAA Top 10% public recognition when this information is released in June of 2014.
- In relation to the multi-year APR, effective with the 2014-2015 academic year, a 930 multi-year APR is required for postseason competition. In reviewing the multi-year APR scores for Auburn University teams, please note the distributions shown below.
- 2 Teams with a Four Year Average of 1000 (9.52%)
- 6 Teams with a Four Year Average of 990 or Above (28.57%)
- 14 Teams with a Four Year Average of 980 or Above (66.67%)
- 16 Teams with a Four Year Average of 970 or Above (71.43%)
- 19 Teams with a Four Year Average of 960 or Above (90.48%)
- 20 Teams with a Four Year Average of 950 or Above (95.24%)
2012-13 APR Multi-Year APR
Baseball 965 957
Basketball 936 940
Cross Country 1000 1000
Football 978 965
Golf 1000 1000
Swimming & Diving 973 961
Tennis 964 966
Track—Indoor 986 987
Track—Outdoor 986 987
Basketball 980 990
Cross Country 967 987
Equestrian 993 982
Golf 1000 983
Gymnastics 1000 991
Softball 986 983
Soccer 989 992
Swimming & Diving 974 978
Tennis 1000 993
Track, Indoor 981 987
Track, Outdoor 981 987
Volleyball 1000 975