Auburn's Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum begins its 42nd and final year of service to the University. The capacity of the six-million dollar multi-purpose building was reduced at the beginning of the 1994-95 season to 10,108 from its original 12,500-seat capacity since 1969. It was then increased to 10,500 in 1998-99. The first phase of a $10-million renovation project began in 1997 with new baseline and sideline seating, a new playing floor, a new scoreboard and the construction of coaches' offices in the upper north end of the Coliseum.
Within the friendly confines of Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum, Auburn boasts an impressive 294-115 record (.719) over the past 27 seasons. Overall, Auburn is 381-177 (.683) in the Coliseum. Only five times in the 41-year history of the Coliseum has Auburn experienced a losing record at home. Auburn's 30-game homecourt winning streak from the 1997-98 season to the final game of the 1999-2000 season is the longest in Coliseum history. It was the nation's second longest current winning streak at the time and the second longest home winning streak in Auburn history.
Named in memory of Auburn alumni 'who made the supreme sacrifice for their country in its four wars of this century,' Memorial Coliseum was officially dedicated at halftime of the Auburn-Vanderbilt game on February 22, 1969. The first game in Coliseum history, however, came earlier on January 11, 1969, when LSU and fabled Pete Maravich visited Auburn. The Tigers downed LSU 90-71 before 11,166 fans.
The facility was renamed Joel H. Eaves Memorial Coliseum in September of 1987 in recognition of Coach Eaves' lasting contributions to Auburn Basketball. Eaves, who guided Auburn to its first Southeastern Conference regular-season championship in 1960, tops the school's all-time list with 213 victories in 14 seasons (1949-50 to 1962-63).
It became known by its present name, Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum in 1993. Jeff Beard was Auburn's athletic director from 1951-72 and was one of the greatest ever at the University.
One of the greatest moments in the Coliseum's history came on Feb. 17, 1999, when Auburn defeated Vanderbilt 81-63 to clinch the 1999 SEC Championship. A wild celebration followed the victory with Auburn fans rushing the court and the Tigers cutting down the nets.
The Coliseum had served as home for the varsity indoor track squad. The indoor track, laid out around the perimeter of the arena floor (12 laps to the mile) was only the second such facility in the SEC when it was constructed. The first official SEC wrestling tournament was held in March 1970 in Memorial Coliseum. The NCAA wrestling cham-pionships were also hosted in 1971, making it only the second championship athletic event of national stature to be held in the South at the time. The Coliseum hosted the 2005 NCAA Gymnastics Championship.
A portion of the athletic department offices, as well as the physical education offices and dressing rooms, are located in the Coliseum. Students and faculty members have daily access to all facilities.
The $6,033,597 needed to erect the building was appropriated in several ways, after the 1965 Alabama Legislature approved construction. State funds accounted for $4,500,000 and federal funds accounted for $685,597. University funds totaled $498,000 and the athletic department contributed $360,000.
Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum Year-by-Year Records
Single-Game Attendance Highs
Capacity Crowds since 1994-95*