Possible Employment Authorizations
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT): Generally for internships
- Must be degree applicable and required by program
- Valid for up to 1 year
- Follow above link for application & deadlines.
- For information regarding available internship opportunities, contact Janice Robinson in AuburnYOU's Student-Athelte Enhancement department
- Optional Practical Training (OPT): Off campus employment for 12 months after completion of academic program
- Must be in students' field of study
- Can apply starting 90 days prior to the date you will graduate and up to 60 days after graduation.
- Must secure employment within 90 days of OPT approval
- Valid for 1 year
- Associated Cost;
- $390(Auburn University Fee) + $410(Homeland Security Fee)
- Once applied for, student cannot leave country until approved
- Follow above link for application and required documentation.
- H-1B Visa (Specialty Occupation): Employer to sponsor the applicant, student must have acquired a U.S. Bachelors Degree or its equivalent and the job must be in the student's field of study.
- Valid for 3 years and can be extended.
- Student must first apply for Grad School
- Once accepted, Carol Lovvorn will process new 1-20.
Social Security Number
- Obtaining a Social Security Number
- Must have a job offer to receive a social security number
Contact Carol Lovvorn at the International Office for any Visa and Employment questions:
International Student Advisor
Coordinator of Student-Athlete Enhancement